Tuesday, October 20, 2009

* This is a guest post from Courtney Dravitzki. Read, comment and enjoy!


Sororities. The thought that first comes to mind and came to mind for me was the All- American party experience. Sororities have the stigma of being the girls who are ditzy, blonde, rich, scandalous, partiers, the material girls…I for one can vouch for what a sorority girl stands for. I am writing now to enrich you with a snippet of insight about why I am not ashamed to call myself a sorority girl, despite these stigmas that are present, or the rumors that are spread.

One of my greatest investments throughout my college experience thus far has been the decision to join my sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. Founded in 1870, it is the first Greek Letter Fraternity known among women, and will remain first in my heart forever.

Coming to UNL in the fall of 2008, I was scared to death. I was scared about fitting in. I wondered whether I could be myself and still find friends that would love me anyway. My Theta sisters are those girls who first stood by me when everything was uncertain. They will continue to stand by me when my world is crumbling down and to cheer me on when I accomplish a huge feat.

Sisterhood is not the only thing that Theta gives me everyday. Theta holds me accountable, knowing that no longer do my actions only reflect myself, but reflect Theta and the ideals that it was founded upon.

Independence, Perseverance, and Faith.

Leadership is another quality that stands out strong not only in Theta, but in all sororities throughout campus. There are so many examples of Greek Women who are both leaders on campus and those who have also graduated to become successful women in the world today.

Joining a sorority is also an amazing opportunity to apply yourself to better the world around you through service projects and philanthropic events. For example, every sorority organizes a philanthropic event of some sort once a semester to raise money for a particular charitable organization. A few examples of these are CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) Make-A-Wish, Ronald McDonald House, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, The Friendship Home, etc.

It is shocking to think that you can take one hundred plus women with different childhoods, schools, backgrounds, personalities, visions, and desires and throw them all under one roof and expect them not to annihilate one another. For that much estrogen to even function normally is madness. But what is unbelievable is how it becomes much more than just “functioning” or “getting along”…what is formed is an unbreakable bond.

I love each and every one of my sisters--for their faults, for their strengths, for their niches, for themselves--. We are not perfect and do not pretend to be. We fail, just like every other person on campus. We also succeed. We fight, and we resolve. We laugh and we cry. Most importantly, we love. For each sister I am eternally grateful and forever changed. There is not a single girl in this house who has not affected my life in some way, whether great or small.

Being in a sorority has taught me how to reach beyond myself for the greater good. It has taught me and continues to teach me lessons that I will carry with me throughout the rest of my life. I have learned to put aside selfish motives for the sake of my sisters. I have learned that being the best person I can possibly be is in turn what is best for my house as a whole. I have learned what it means to be truly empathetic by loving, hurting, or feeling sincere happiness that someone whom you love is experiencing.

Not only does Theta give so much to me, I feel that God has put me in a beautiful position to give myself back to this sorority with His love.

I am able to live as a witness to this house 24/7 in my natural environment, just Courtney being Courtney, truly LIVING my life out in front of them. These girls see me in all elements and emotions, in all of the highs and lows. What better way to show Jesus to someone than by living in His love? I also have the amazing opportunity to lead and attend a bible study in my house! God has truly blessed me.

Being in a sorority-being in Theta-is much more than wearing letters proud on a sweatshirt, rolling with your girls on a Spring Break trip, singing songs and chanting chants, or dressing up goofy for an upcoming social…it’s about being there for one another.

I urge you the next time you find yourself judging “sorority girls” too quickly, to take a step back and get to know some of the girls. You may find yourself surprisedI know I was.

I for one am a sorority girl, and proud to say so.

As with any organization, there are flaws and areas that need work and improvement. For these flaws, I am thankful. Why you may ask? It is an incentive. It is an incentive to push each other to overcome these struggles and obstacles. It is an incentive to become the best women that we can be regardless of what stages of our lives we are going through.

Theta is a choice that I committed to. A pact that is unfailing and unending. Theta is a treasure that is held close to my heart. A blessing that I count at night before I fall asleep. Theta is for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment